It is an ornamented cast-iron shaft flanked by
several large ship anchors and was erected in 1858.
It's gas light shone from a focal plane of 77 feet
as an aid to ships entering Savannah's harbor. In
conjunction with the Fig Island Light, this harbor
beacon served as a range light to guide incoming
vessels past six Revolutionary War ships
intentionally scuttled by the British in 1779 to
keep French ships out of the harbor.